“…a spa employee slathered her in aromatic essential oils, aloe, and shea butter. But the curvy Jersey girl began to have doubts when she was wrapped tightly in a “cellophane-type material” and helped inside something called an Alpha Massage Capsule. It looked like a space-age coffin…”
“…Once inside, she couldn’t move. As the temperature soared, she started to become overheated and lightheaded. She shouted for help, but the attendant had vanished, the lawsuit says. Then Berean passed out…”
According to a lawsuit she filed earlier this month, Berean’s spa treatment (at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Miami Beach in July 2010) turned into one hot, buttery nightmare. The spa promised to leave her skin “glowing,” but Berean’s “hot butter wrap” nearly melted her instead. After two years of medical bills, she wants payback.
“She was stuck in this little heating egg,” says Berean’s lawyer, Andrew Norden. “She yelled, but nobody came to help her. Then she passed out. It was terrifying for her.”
Lawyers representing Nirvana Spa did not respond to requests for comment. Berean also declined to speak to New Times about her ordeal, but her attorney and lawsuit paint a terrifying picture of relaxation gone awry.
When the Nirvana Spa employee finally returned, she took Berean out of the capsule and unwrapped her like an aborted butterfly. Berean gradually came to, but instead of calling paramedics, the employee put the barely conscious client into the shower and left her alone again, according to the lawsuit. Berean fainted a second time and hit her head.
Berean has undergone “extensive medical care and treatment” because of the near-fatal massage, the lawsuit claims. But Natalia Bazhenova, Nirvana’s current manager who joined the spa after the incident, says the story sounds suspicious.
For more: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/07/woman_sues_nirvana_spa_on_miam.php