Tag Archives: Restaurant Fire

Hospitality Industry Management Update: “Common Fire Code Violations” (Video)

Petra Risk Solutions’ Loss Control Manager, Matt Karp, offers a P3 Hospitality Risk Report – ‘Common Fire Code Violations’. 

P3 (Petra Plus Process) is the Risk Management Division of Petra Risk Solutions – America ’s largest independent insurance brokerage devoted exclusively to the hospitality marketplace.

For more information on Petra and P3 visit petrarisksolutions.com or call 800.466.8951.

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Hotel Industry, Insurance, Maintenance, Management And Ownership, Risk Management, Training

Hospitality Industry Management Update: “Common Fire Code Violations” (Video)

Petra Risk Solutions’ Loss Control Manager, Matt Karp, offers a P3 Hospitality Risk Report – ‘Common Fire Code Violations’. 

P3 (Petra Plus Process) is the Risk Management Division of Petra Risk Solutions – America ’s largest independent insurance brokerage devoted exclusively to the hospitality marketplace.

For more information on Petra and P3 visit petrarisksolutions.com or call 800.466.8951.

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Hotel Industry, Insurance, Maintenance, Management And Ownership, Risk Management, Training

Hospitality Industry Property Risks: California Restaurant Fire Caused By Electrical Short In Ice Maker; Over $75,000 In Damage To Structure, Contents And Loss Of Business

“…An electrical short in an ice maker caused the fire…the restaurant’s sprinkler system did go on, but not right away..Damage to the structure and contents is Restaurant Fire Risksestimated to be about $75,000 and loss of business about $10,000, fire officials said…”

A fire at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant in Mission Valley was swiftly knocked down Sunday afternoon by an engine company that happened to be in the restaurant parking lot dousing a car fire, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department reported. About 1:15 p.m., the restaurant manager hailed the fire crew in the parking lot at Mission Center Road near Camino de la Reina. Firefighters found waist-high smoke and flames in the kitchen, said San Diego fire department spokesman Maurice Luque.

About 200 diners and Gordon Biersch staff were evacuated and no injuries were reported, Luque said. The restaurant was closed for business for the rest of the day.

Per procedure, the San Diego County Department of Environmental Health was notified and will inspect the restaurant to determine when it is safe to reopen for business, Luque said.

For more:  http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/18/gordon-biersch-fire-icemaker/

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Insurance, Maintenance, Management And Ownership, Risk Management

Hospitality Industry Property Risks: Virginia Restaurant Kitchen Fire Spreads Inside Walls And Ceiling; $100,000 Interior And Water Damage

“…After extinguishing the flames in the area of a kitchen broiler, firefighters discovered “there was fire in the wall behind the burner … and up in Restaurant Fire Risksthe ceiling…part of the wall had to be torn away and ceiling tiles had to be removed to finish quelling the blaze…a rough estimate put the damage to the restaurant at $100,000 — “a lot of that due to the cleanup that will be necessary…”

The TGI Fridays restaurant at the entrance to the Downtown Short Pump shopping center remained closed Monday after a fire erupted Saturday night. A manager said Monday that the restaurant could reopen in about two weeks.

The restaurant, at 11600 W. Broad St., was closed Saturday night after a kitchen fire erupted about 9:40 p.m. and the Henrico County Fire Department was called. Firefighters responded and had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.

For more:  http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/retail/tgi-fridays-restaurant-in-short-pump-remains-closed-after-fire/article_69e0e0bb-5790-5505-9dca-031e13fd3ac2.html

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Insurance, Risk Management, Structural Damage

Hospitality Industry Property Risks: Washington Restaurant Destroyed By Fire Caused By Cleaning Towels Left In Dryer “Spontaneously Combusting”

Restaurant Cleaning Towel Combustion Fires“…It was the second restaurant fire in Olympia in two years caused by towels in the dryer, and the fifth in five years to other businesses including hair salons…the cleaning towels that were left inside the dryer smolder for hours and then spontaneously combust.  The greases and oils used in the cleaning process apparently don’t all get washed out…”

Investigators have determined a fire that destroyed the Oyster House restaurant in Olympia started in the dryer, when cleaning towels spontaneously combusted. Now, they’re sending out a warning to all restaurants, hair salons, and even bowling alleys where towels are used to clean things and then washed and tossed in the dryer.

Olympia fire investigator Brian Schenk gave KOMO News a close look at the dryer where the Oyster House fire started. “I see a very distinct burn pattern here that shows me the fire came from the inside out,” Schenk said. “It just looks like it’s towels.”

The restaurant manager said the night of the fire that they used the dryer just before closing.

“And so when they get thrown in the dryer and left, they’ll continue to spontaneously heat even after the dryer cycle has stopped and people have all left,” said Assistant Chief Robert Bradley, the Olympia fire marshal.

For more:  http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Spontaneous-combustion-deemed-cause-of-Olympia-restaurant-fire-218925741.html?tab=video&c=y

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Insurance, Liability, Maintenance, Management And Ownership, Structural Damage

Hospitality Industry Property Risks: Arkansas Restaurant Closed By Fire And Water Damage Reopens After 8 Months; Business Owners’ Insurance Pays For 80% Of Staff To Be Retained

“…Sixty employees were without work following the fire. The business owners’ insurance coverage allowed the staff to continue earning a Restaurant Fire Riskspaycheck while the restaurant was closed…Calico County partner Scott Blair said they retained about 80 percent of their pre-fire staff and hired about 40 new team members for the re-opening…”

Calico County was forced to shutdown after a fire damaged the restaurant (in the early morning on November 26, 2012)… Police were alerted to the fire after receiving a call from an alarm company that a commercial burglary alarm went off at approximately 2:37 a.m. Monday, according to dispatchers with the Fort Smith Police Department.

Fort Smith police arrived at the scene and alerted the fire department when smoke was seen coming from the building. Fort Smith Department Battalion Chief Tery Graves said responders quickly put out the flames, however, the restaurant suffered severe smoke and water damage. According to a preliminary investigation, the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen area of the restaurant.

For more:  http://5newsonline.com/2013/08/04/popular-fort-smith-restaurant-opens-back-up-after-fire/

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire, Insurance, Labor Issues, Management And Ownership, Structural Damage

Hospitality Industry Property Risks: Nebraska Restaurant Fire Starts Near Cooler’s Condenser, Spreading Upstairs; Heavy Heat Results In Complete Loss

“…the blaze most likely started near the cooler’s condenser which was under repair and then spread to the NAPA auto store next door, only causing smoke damage while resulting in a complete loss for the restaurant…when the cook went to open the door, flames shot out…the whole Restaurant Fire Risksentire upstairs was probably involved in heavy fire. Made entry and attempted to extinguish that and due to extreme heat (the firefighters) were driven out and changed to a defensive mode…”

An iconic family restaurant in McCook destroyed by fire late Saturday evening must now decide how to move forward. Fullers Restaurant was more than a business, it was a part of the community and something everyone will miss.

“Tried to put it out with a hand extinguisher and then called the fire department and by the time they got set up and everything it was a little later,” said Val Fuller, the owner.

Fuller’s Restaurant employees recount the scene that led to the building’s evacuation late Saturday evening when the McCook Fire Department responded to a call for a structure fire shortly after 8:40 PM. “All of the employees, all of the customers were out and across the alley from the structure,” said Chief Marc Harpham with the McCook Fire Department.

“It was our supper hour, so we had a fairly decent crowd in there and we told them what the situation was and they left,” said Thayer.

Now, owner Fuller must decide how to move forward after losing the restaurant his parents started in 1946.

For more:  http://www.knopnews2.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=8332:more-than-a-restaurant&Itemid=105

Leave a comment

Filed under Claims, Fire, Insurance, Maintenance, Management And Ownership, Risk Management, Structural Damage