The FBI and the BJA set up a joint regional intelligence center, a hotline, and published a Release with some tips specifically for hotels and motels:
- Request specific room assignments or locations.
- Use cash for large transactions or a credit card in someone else’s name.
- Arrive with unusual amounts of luggage.
- Make unusual inquiries about local sites, including government, military, police, communications, and power facilities.
- Refuse cleaning service over an extended time.
- Use entrances and exits that avoid the lobby.
- Abandon a room and leave behind clothing and toiletry items.
- Do not leave their room.
- Change their appearance.
- Leave the property for several days and then return.
- Thefts of official vehicles, uniforms, identification, and access cards.
Reports of guest rooms with:
- Burn marks or discoloration on the walls or door.
- Unusual odors or liquids seeping from a guest room.
- Unusual amounts of traffic.
Discovery of unusual items in guest rooms or facility dumpsters:
- Fertilizer or agricultural products.
- Chemicals or chemical containers.
- Fuel or fuel containers.
- Weapons, ammunition, and explosives.
- Extremist training manuals or literature.
- Fraudulent credit cards or documents.
Parked vehicles in isolated areas.